Childbirth Education 2-Week Class at Raising Astoria
26-11, 23rd Ave, Astoria, NY 11105
Tuesday May 17, 2016 and Tuesday May 24, 2016, 6:30pm-9:30pm
In this informative, hands-on class, birthing mothers and their partners will work to prepare themselves physically, emotionally, psychologically, and practically for the experience of labor and birth. Topics will include:
- The anatomy and chemistry of labor.
- How to know you're in labor, when to call your doctor/midwife/doula, and when to go to the hospital/birth center.
- How to understand, identify, and cope with the three stages of labor.
- Positions, tools, and techniques for coping with the pain of labor.
- How to articulate your birth preferences ("birth plan").
- Medical support ("interventions"), including medical pain relief and cesarean birth.
- How to interact with your medical care provider.
- Postpartum recovery.
There will be plenty of time for questions and discussion; I will provide students with resources and suggestions for further learning, as well as continued phone and email support as needed.